Neurontin (Gabapentin) Contraindications
Before taking Neurontin, you should know its main contraindications:
- the use of Neurontin as an additional drug in the treatment of partial seizures with secondary generalization and without it in children under 3 years old;
- the use of Neurontin as a monotherapy of partial seizures with secondary generalization and without it in children under 12 years old;
- the treatment of neuropathic pain with Neurontin in people under 18 years old;
- hypersensitivity to gabapentin or auxiliary components of the drug;
- lactose deficiency, lactose intolerance, and glucose-galactose malabsorption.
Using Neurontin in the kidney failure
Neurontin should be prescribed with caution for persons with the kidney failure.
It is recommended to prescribe Neurontin (Gabapentin) at a saturating dose of 300-400 mg for patients who are on hemodialysis and who have not previously taken Neurontin, and then take it by 200-300 mg after every 4 hours of hemodialysis.
Using Neurontin during pregnancy and lactation
There are no data on the use of Neurontin (Gabapentin) in pregnant women, so the drug should be used during pregnancy only if the potential benefit to the mother outweighs any potential risk to the fetus.
Gabapentin is excreted in breast milk, its effect on the infant is unknown. Therefore, during lactation period, Neurontin® should be prescribed only if the benefit to the mother clearly outweighs the risk to the infant.
- Neurontin is not considered an effective drug for the treatment of absence-epilepsy.
- With simultaneous treatment with morphine, an increase in the concentration of gabapentin may be required. In this case, it is necessary to ensure careful observation of the patient for the development of such a symptom of central nervous system depression as drowsiness. The dose of Neurontin or morphine should be adequately reduced.
- When treating with Neurontin, one should adhere strictly to the doses prescribed by a specialist.
- Antiepileptic drugs (including gabapentin) may increase the risk of suicidal thoughts or behavior. Therefore, patients taking these drugs should be carefully observed for the appearance or deterioration of depression, as well as any changes in behavior.
- When Neurontin was used together with other anticonvulsants, false positive results were noted during the determination of the protein in the urine by means of Ames N-Multistix SG test strips.
- It is recommended to use Neurontin (Gabapentin) 2 hours after taking the antacid.
- In the case of an overdose of the drug, you should immediately consult a doctor.
- The effect of prolonged treatment with Neurontin (more than 36 weeks) on the child’s intellect, learning capability and development has not been studied at a sufficient level. Therefore, when prescribing a long-term therapy with Neurontin, it is necessary to evaluate the ratio of possible benefits and risks.
- In the case of development of pancreatitis against the background of the use of gabapentin, it is required to evaluate the possibility of the drug withdrawal.
- It is necessary to inform the doctor about other prescribed medications, in order to avoid the negative effects of their interaction.
- Patients should not operate moving mechanisms and drive until an individual response to the use of the drug is determined.
Neurontin should be stored at a temperature of no more than 25 °C. Keep away from children. The shelf life of the capsules is 3 years and for the tablets is 2 years.